is a community in Western New York State situated on the
east bank of the Genesee River in the northern-most section
of Livingston County. The first permanent settlement was
made in 1789 at the river where Gilbert and Maria Berry
built a log tavern and later operated a rope ferry. Dr.
Timothy Hosmer and Major Isaiah Thompson with three associates
from Connecticut purchased the land that is now Avon and
Rush. They named their community Hartford, a name that
was later changed to Avon (1808) to distinguish it from
another community in the state. The town was formally
organized in 1797, and the village was incorporated in
area was well known to native peoples, hunters, trappers,
explorers and missionaries who used the main trail across
what is now New York State. That "trail" passes
through Avon. During the Nineteenth Century Avon was famous
for its mineral springs, with large hotels, bathhouses
and recreational facilities built to accommodate the many
who sought health cures from the rich sulphur waters.
both passenger and freight, were prominent in the development
of Avon. On July 21, 1853, passenger service between Avon
and New York City opened with great fanfare. "
road being broad gauge, and running direct to Avon Springs,
is the most comfortable and expeditious route from New
York to that place
." Though passenger service
is no longer available, the LAL (Livonia, Avon and Lakeville)
is a successful short line offering shippers an alternative
or supplement to truck transport and a connection to the
national railway systems.
highways serve the people of Avon as well as those who
visit the community, with Routes 5 and 20, Route 15 and
Interstate 90 all offering convenient travel.
has been considerable effort on the parts of both Town
and Village to maintain a balance in this beautiful Genesee
Valley community among residential development, farming,
industrial and commercial interests.
will enjoy the opportunity to explore the parks, including
the Park Circle with its memorials to those who have fought
for our country, Gilbert Berry Park with access to the
Genesee River, Avon Driving Park, the site of early development
at the Lower Spring, Papermill Park in its lovely rural
setting, and others. Landmarks to watch for include, among
others, the Five Arch Bridge, Civil War cenotaph, the
Avon Inn, remaining from Spa days, the Opera Block with
its historic public performance space, and the marker
identifying the site of the first mill in the Genesee
Preston, Marie C. Avon, Heart of the Genesee Country.
Geneseo, NY: Sanders, 1976
Maureen P. Kingston, Historian, Town of Avon, New York